Objectives of the Presentation
Why Should you Attend
- Learn what a security incident is under HIPAA
- Learn how to recognize where a security incident falls along the continuum culminating with a reportable breach under HIPAA
- Learn how to investigate a security incident to determine whether it is a breach
- Learn what elements you need to have in your security incident report and response policy and procedure
- Learn who has to report a security incident and to whom and when and how and why
- Learn how to mitigate a security incident
- Learn how to train your workforce on how to handle a HIPAA security incident
- Learn what the documentation requirements are under HIPAA
If HIPAA covered entities and business associates do not report and respond to HIPAA security incidents properly, they can face up to seven-figure fines. This webinar will help you avoid the free trip to Leavenworth and the expensive trip to the bank, which could easily occur if you do not know what a security incident is and what to do about it.
Who will Benefit
- HIPAA definition of a security incident
- Every breach is a security incident, but not every security incident is a breach under HIPAA
- Reporting and responding to a security incident
HIPAA compliance officers, HIPAA Security Officers, HIPAA Privacy Officers, CFOs, CEOs, COOs, CIOs, human resources directors, business office managers, administrators, medical records personnel, health information management professionals, health care attorneys, patient accounts managers, billing services, physicians, dentists, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists, mental and behavioral health professionals, speech and language pathologists and audiologists, nurses, chiropractors, and business associates.
HIPAA, the HITECH Act, and now changes under the Omnibus Rule require covered entities and business associates to report certain breaches. Not all security incidents are breaches, and not all breaches are reportable breaches. This webinar will explain the law in easy-to-understand terms to help covered entities and business associates comply as quickly, easily, and effectively as possible in case they experience a security incident that ripens into a reportable breach so that they can stand a better chance of avoiding as much as a seven-figure fine for violation of the HIPAA Breach Notification Rule. This webinar will also help you learn how not to report something that you don’t need to report that might get you on the DHHS radar screen unnecessarily. This webinar will teach you how to frame what happened, if you do need to report it, so as to minimize your potential liability.