Compliance Issues with Fair Labor Standards Act and Overtime
Duration: 90 Minutes
This webinar will discuss the formula for calculating overtime - determining what working time is, what the regular rate of pay is, and how to calculate overtime payments. Additionally, we will discuss ways to avoid unauthorized overtime and ways to cut overtime liability.
Objectives of the Presentation
Why Should you Attend
- How to define your workweek
- What is compensable working time?
- How to determine the regular rate of pay
- Determining when bonuses must be in the regular rate
- How to pay employees who work at different rates
- Using salary coefficient to pay workers
- Using 7(k) exemption to pay police and fire detail
Lawsuits under the Fair Labor Standards Act have reached an all-time high. The Department of Labor estimates that 87% of all employers are not in compliance with their obligations to pay overtime to non-exempt workers. Even employers with the best intentions find themselves violating some aspect of the Fair Labor Standards Act. In addition to misclassification issues, employers fail to recognize what time must be compensated and then how to calculate how much is owed when the employee works overtime. The use of personal digital devices and the growing popularity of telecommuting have made this task even more difficult!
Who will Benefit
- Human resource managers
- Company owners
- Chief financial officers
- Payroll clerks