California Wage and Hour Law Compliance: Payroll Unique to the Golden State
Duration: 90 Minutes
This 90 minute California Wage and Hour Compliance training will help you understand the complexities surrounding California Wage and Hour Law Compliance and how it affects the function of any payroll department or company that has employees in California.
It has been said that California has a style all its own. This is especially true in the area of employment law. With arguably the greatest amount of wage and hour laws on the books of any state, processing payroll and keeping in compliance with California requirements can be a complex situation. Issues involving overtime, split shifts, call-backs, meals and meal periods, donning and doffing, travel time, local minimum wage and countless other potential snares and pitfalls await the unwary employer! If the payroll department fails to comply or commits the tiniest infraction, serious penalties can and do occur.
Why Should you Attend:
Attend this 90 minute presentation to keep yourself informed and educated on California requirements. Learn what you should know to protect yourself, your department and your company from these potentially disastrous situations!
Objectives of the Presentation:
To understand and be able to process payroll in California in compliance with current California wage and hour laws and regulations including:
Who can Benefit:
- Wage orders: How to determine which of the 17 wages orders applies to your company?
- Overtime: CA has daily and weekly overtime and daily and weekly double time. Learn how to determine when its straight time, overtime or double time
- Alternative workweeks: Are your employees eligible to have alternative workweeks and are employers required to offer them?
- Minimum Wage: How do credits for meals and lodging or tips affect the current minimum wage for the state?
- On call pay: Does CA require it for all employees all the time?
- Reporting or show up pay: does the employer owe wages to any employee for just showing up to work? Even if there is no work to be performed?
- Split shifts: Is there a monetary requirements to pay the employee extra if they work a split shift?
- What are the requirements for posters and payday notices?
- What must be included in the employee's paystub and what must be excluded?
- What notices are required to be given to employees upon hire or if they are laid off or terminated. What if they go on leave of absence?
- How often must employees be paid in CA? Does it apply to all categories of employees?
- What methods are permitted to pay employees? Are there rules for direct deposit? Can employees be paid by payroll debit card?
- What are the rules for paying out the final paycheck if an employee is terminated? Are they the same if the employee quits? How does either one affect the vacation time left on the books?
- Are meal and rest periods required or left up to the employer's policies? If required what are the penalties if the employees does not receive his or her meal or rest period
- Recordkeeping requirements including required time card punches
- Permissible deductions from pay.
Live Session - How it works
- Payroll professionals
- Human Resources
- Accounting Personnel
- Business Owners
- Any individual or entity that must deal with the complexities and technicalities of California Wage and Hour law and compliance issues in the payroll process
Recorded Session - How it works
- We will send Username and password 24 hours prior to webinar at your email address.
- Webinar presentation handouts will be shared in pdf format, a day before live presentation.
- Use the login details to participate in sessions.
- Clear out your queries through interactive Q&A chat boxes with the speaker.
- We need to know your experience, so please don't skip to provide us with your overall presentation feedback.
- Get certification of attendance.
- Once you purchase a webinar you will receive username and password at your email address.
- Use the login details to view recorded webinars.
- Presentation handouts will also be shared in pdf format.
- Access to the recording is valid only till 6 months starting from the date of purchase.
- Get certification of attendance.